Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Highway or a bumpy road ahead..

My office had a meetin today. Not that it's somethin weird bout it. But there's somethin important in the details of the discussion. My company is currently havin a hard time. Now, that word alone is sufficient to get the picture of what my boss is tryin to say.

A brief description bout my company. My company is a used-car company, which also deal in general (motor) insurance. So basically, we have 2 department. One department deals with sellin, buyin, arrangin loans etc. and the other one, my department deals with car insurances. My department have 2 staff which is typical fer a small company. My mate, Imran (he's a Navy retiree) is sort of managin the insurance department. And me, I'm the clerk cum despatch guy.

It's said that the every used-car company in my office's vicinity will only be able to operate there until the end of this year. Majlis Perbandaran Seremban has issued a memo sayin that no new/renewal on used-card license will be given startin this month and we; more than 10 used-car company will have to relocate. All the used-car bosses meet last night and today they sent 3 representative to go and try to sort the matter out with MPS. No news bout that yet, I will only know tomorrow (not that I'm such an important figure to make them tell me, but heck my boss will tell us bout it anyway.). And that's just a fraction of the bigger problem my company is facin.

Money. That's another one. The most important one. There's many unpaid insurances totallin in nearly 20K which most of the unpaid customer is, ironically; my boss's friends. Almost all of the debt are there even before I join the company. So basically, we in the insurance department are affected too. The whole company is in fact affected but my department is facin the worst. The 2 of us, in the insurance department are still tryin to stabilise the account but heck, my boss has given up hope now. Today. So, the signal was blinkin and I knew what it mean. Or to put it more correctly, what my boss means. He gave up on insurance and he just want to concentrate on the sellin/buyin portion of his company.

His point is valid. And I know he's still strugglin. I won't blame him. It's just a matter of time and it's better fer me to go when the ship is still afloat than sinkin with the whole crew. He said this evenin:

"As you guys can see, the insurance (department) are havin a hard time. The whole company is. I can't handle it anymore. I just want to concentrate on used-car only. People are still owin me money and this effect has not come in a surprise."

"Karl, I want you to be prepared. I want you to start searchin fer "a bigger tree to hold on to". I'm not sayin that you should go but if you want to stay with me, I know dealin in used-car is not your cup of tea
(I have no desire to deal in cars. He knew it all along from the day I started workin there. He asked me to join the used-car department a few times before but I politely refused. It's too much of a headache.). I'm not puttin any fixed date fer it. I just want you to start searchin fer a better career (I tried resignin a few times before but my boss stopped me. And I was lack in motivation to actually pursue a new career.). This time, when you found a better job, I won't hold your resignation anymore. I'll write a supportin letter of any kind if you ever needed any."

I snipped the other things he said. It was a sentimental evenin. Because, heck, I kinda like that place. Although I know someday, sooner or later, I'll be leavin the company (I've never consider the job as my final career.); still, the place have a special place in my memory. The only job non-related to my workin skills / experiences. But it's fun. I finally knew how it feels to be a despatch. I knew lotsa people from lotsa background. All the person in my office is like one family. Yeah we quarrel with each others sometime. Disagreement are nothin we lack of. But in our own way, we're doin it like family (and I'm the most stubborn "lil brother" fer all I know :D ).

I always wanted to leave. And now I can. Nobody can stop me now. But in a way, it feels like I'm leavin a portion of me. Many people knew me as my company's name. The company's name is my surname. Plus many more special treatment I got which nobody, workin my kinda job, will ever get. Like I've stated, that is somethin special.

I'll leave. But I'm takin a good 2years+ memories with me. I don't have a plan yet. My boss didn't give a fixed date but I gave meself 2 month. I'm still kinda blurry of what the heck I'll be doin in another 3 month. But I don't quite give a damn. Everybody has their destiny written. I'll work somethin out. Maybe the road ahead is not that bumpy and most probably, my ride will be like hell. Fer now, I just don't care. I just want to enjoy the job I secretly in love with until the time fer me to leave fer good. Later.

No comments: