Sunday, June 05, 2005

My sister is engaged & near fatal wasp sting

There was an engagement ceremony goin on today at my house. Not me of course, it was fer my big sister. It's quite a day fer me, because I have to be the 'man in the house', which is basically, handlin all the discussion etc. etc. on behalf of my father. The ceremony went on smoothly although I was practically clueless on what to say and all such things. You know the Malay traditional way and stuff. It's quite weird I guess, if people saw me; with my long hair etc. bein the center of the engagement ceremony. I tried to be as cool as possible and I guess the ceremony is successfull. Not bad fer my 1st time. So when it's my kid sister's turn, rest assure that I'm more prepared than ever.

I had a major bad experience last Friday. While I was ridin my bike on my way back from the office, a stingy wasp (Tebuan Tanah, I don't know the name in english but I'm guessin that it's a potter wasp) hit me on my forehead and stung me just next to my left eye. It made me stop my bike in an instant and after I carefully took off my helmet, the thing was already gone. I looked at my bike's sidemirror and I saw a spot of blood on the place I got stung. Thinkin that it'll be a minor threat, I just continue ridin and went home. There was nobody at home, my big sister was at Malacca, preparin the her engagement ceremony (she brought all her kids) and my younger was workin. So I was all alone in my house. I guess it's not even 10 minutes since I got stung by the thing and I was gettin itchy all over my body. I thought that probably my sweat was makin me itchy so I took a quick bath.

When the tab water touches my body, I felt like a stingy sensation. Damn, now it's somethin more than a typical sweat that can make this. I was startin to get rashes on my skin. Still takin it easy, I guess too easy, I just turn on my laptop and doin all the usual stuff. When all of the sudden, when I was tryin to get a drink, my eyes startin to blur. I tried shakin my head but I just can see white lights. My face started to feel tense and I got this headache I can't describe. Although I can't barely see clearly, I managed to dial Alon's phone number and thank God he picked it up (fortunately Alon is listed on the few higher name in my phone's address book, if his name starts with "M" or somethin, I'll be in deep trouble). He was in the neighborhood when I told him I got stung on my head so he came in a brief. I managed to get to my car, although I was like a blind man, usin my hands to figure my way out. My body was unstable at that time and I have to hold on to anythin to make it to my car. I felt like I can no longer control my body's reaction as Alon was drivin me to the hospital. He kept blabberin somethin but I was in too much of a pain to remember it.

When I arrived at the general hospital, I was given a wheelchair after I nearly collapse while I'm registerin. My body was shakin heavily and my head felt so heavy the hospital's staff kept nudgin me to keep me awake. A few minutes after that, I was in the doctor's room and the staff in there put me in a bed, and puttin a device attached to a machine by wires on my legs and arms, and put a few small suction thingy on my chest. I was injected (can't barely notice them injectin me because I was quite numb at that time) and I took a small red pill. Still shakin, I was placed in the Probation Room fer more than 1 hour before my condition was considered stable and I'm free to go home.

The scar of the sting is still noticable. From the stories I heard, normal adult male can only stand a maximum of 3 to 4 shots of the wasp's sting and that'll be most probably fatal. This is surely a lifetime experience to me. Thank God I made it alive and I got no damagin effect from it. I'll buy a visor fer my helmet because I got phobia of gettin stung by anythin again. Another thing that'll make me quit my job soon. Later.

1 comment:

isman said...

told ya to see the doc, see wat happened? some people react badly to wasp/bee sting. thank God it's all ok. so u better watch next time. oohh, congratulations to ur sister for her engagement.